…morning light is magic…

A Tri-Colored First at Bolivar

Another successful trip to Bolivar Flats yesterday left me some photos that I’ve never taken there before, a Tricolored Heron.  I’ve never seen one on the flats before and was very surprised when this one showed up.  First spotted him when he literally tried to land on top of me.  Was lying on a sandbar when he had to make a quick aborted landing when he finally spotted me.  I was disappointed that he didn’t stick around.  As luck would have it, he returned later and landed right in front of me.  Must have picked a good spot.

Had to shift from +1 exposure compensation to +1/3 to keep from blowing out the whites on his chest.  Very minor cropping on this shot to get a vertical photo.

Taken with Canon 1DX and Canon 500mm F4 IS II with 1.4X III teleconverter mounted on Skimmer ground pod with Wimberley II gimbal head

1/1000 sec @ F10, ISO 1600, evaluative metering, +1/3 exposure compensation

0565_Bolivar Flats_02072015-2

9 responses

1. Great story to match your photo. You have a powerful effect on birds!

February 8, 2015 at 6:08 pm

2. crisp, love it.

February 9, 2015 at 5:16 am

• Thanks Nalinda for checking out my blog and commenting. I love it when the birds pose nicely for me.

February 9, 2015 at 9:20 pm

3. Thanks Lyle. They probably recognize me by now.

February 9, 2015 at 5:46 am

4. Carl Henry

Amazing image with perfect catch light in the eye. Thanks for sharing image and your tips behind it.

February 9, 2015 at 6:47 am

• Thanks Carl. Did you make it out there on Friday? Was a little too cloudy for me so I held off until Sat. Looked a little too windy on Sunday, so I had a good excuse to stay home.

February 9, 2015 at 9:21 pm

5. Great shot! How did you get such a narrow focus depth with F10?

February 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm

• Thanks Brian. With the 500mm + 1.4X at that close, the depth of field is very narrow, a matter of inches. Had to close down the aperture to F10 to get enough DOF to get the entire bird in focus. It’s a good problem to have but makes it a challenge with the subjects are close.

February 12, 2015 at 7:00 pm

• Thanks for the tip! I admire that in all of your photos, and its especially evident in the ones of the skimmers (my personal favorites 🙂 ) They are just so captivating and dramatic

February 13, 2015 at 1:27 pm