…morning light is magic…

The Chase

Made my first trip back to Bolivar Flats yesterday since Galveston’s FeatherFest in April.  Took a new client along to show him the ropes of getting down and dirty shooting shorebirds.  He got up close and personal with some birds along with the sand of Bolivar.  Good job Newton.

It felt really good to get back out there and luckily the tide/winds cooperated, along with the birds.  We found the usual suspects, along with two Reddish Egrets and a White Morph Reddish Egret.

Reddish Egrets are very territorial and this one chased a juvenile away right in front of us.  Got a series of 64 photos of this chase.  Changed to all focus points during the action to make sure that they would stay in focus.  Only needed some minor cropping on these shots.

Taken with Canon 1DX and Canon 500mm F4 IS II with 1.4X III teleconverter mounted on Skimmer ground pod with Wimberley II gimbal head.

All photos are Aperture priority, 1/1600 sec @ F11, ISO 1600, evaluative metering, +2/3 exposure compensation, 700mm

298_Bolivar Flats_08082015-2

306_Bolivar Flats_08082015-2

309_Bolivar Flats_08082015-2

315_Bolivar Flats_08082015-2

317_Bolivar Flats_08082015b-2

320_Bolivar Flats_08082015-2

16 responses

1. Totally amazing shots!….as always. 🙂

August 9, 2015 at 2:32 pm

• Thanks. Appreciate you kind words. I love it when the birds cooperate.

August 10, 2015 at 5:36 am

2. That’s some good action. Great combo! Good to know you have a new convert. Keep them coming.

August 9, 2015 at 5:59 pm

• Thanks David. It was a very good time. Better sandbar exposure than expected for this time of year.

August 10, 2015 at 5:38 am

3. Best action shots of a Reddish Egret I’ve seen. The low angle is great.

August 10, 2015 at 7:12 am

• Thanks Stephen. Appreciate your comments. Going low is the only way to go.

August 10, 2015 at 6:26 pm

4. That’s a mighty fine chase sequence. I think the juvenile got the idea.

August 10, 2015 at 7:57 am

• Thanks Lyle. If looks could kill, he would be toast.

August 10, 2015 at 6:27 pm

5. Sheldon

Wonderful set of images Tim!! Glad to see you back on your old stomping grounds……..:)

August 11, 2015 at 10:31 am

• Thanks Sheldon. Always good to hear from you. I’ll shoot you an e-mail sometime to fill you in about work.

August 11, 2015 at 6:43 pm

6. This series is super cool Tim. Great action and perfectly captured.

I’m curious – do you always use evaluative metering or do you sometimes use centerweighted?

August 31, 2015 at 6:55 pm

• Thanks Emily. I’m using evaluative metering all of the time now. I went through a phase several years ago where I would use spot metering on white birds but it didn’t work too well when the bird moved around. What works for me is evaluative metering with adjustments in the exposure using exposure compensation.

September 1, 2015 at 6:04 am

• Then still Aperture priority then? Interesting as I’ve found center weighted metering to work well with birds, but Denise Ippolito had me go back to Evaluative. Full sun, good light it works, but sometimes when I’m shooting birds in trees, the center/spot still works best. Perhaps it’s a scenario thing. Thanks Tim for your response and expertise.

September 1, 2015 at 6:59 am

• Yes, in aperture priority. I’m used to having to quickly adjust my shooting position for shorebirds and tend to stick with AV mode due to the change in sun position as I move around. Evaluative metering gives a good overall exposure and I adjust it manually using exposure compensation depending on the scene and color of bird. I’ve had enough practice where I can quickly make my adjustments of exposure, ISO settings, focus points while looking through the view finder and get the right exposure most of the time before checking the histogram. I love the action of shorebird photography and would not be getting the proper exposures if I tried to use spot/center weighted metering on a fast moving bird like the shots above. It’s a real challenge to keep birds like this in the right spot in your camera for spot/center weighted metering. For me, I’ve gotten consistently better properly exposed shots using evaluative metering. If you are shooting stationary birds, spot or center weighted metering would work fine. Just be prepared if they fly away.

September 2, 2015 at 6:24 am

7. wow! awesome wildlife in action shots!

September 22, 2015 at 10:37 pm

• Thanks W.H. It was lots of action/fun in a very short period of time. Glad that I was paying attention and able to capture it.

September 23, 2015 at 6:58 pm