…morning light is magic…

Reddish Egret in Golden Light

Made another trip to Bolivar Flats on Saturday.  The wind was supposed to be fairly calm on Sat. and got confirmation of that when heading into the Texas City area and could see the steam coming off the of refineries going straight up.  Always a good sign.  Was hoping for completely calm, like glass, water but didn’t get that lucky.  Arrived at the Flats around 6:30 a.m. and had plenty of time to head down the beach and set up on the ground before the sun came up.  Picked a location on a sandbar with water on both sides of me and the sun at my back.  Turned out to be a good location with an abundant amount of bird activity, i.e. a target rich environment.

Was getting shots of a Marbled Godwit to my right when I looked around and saw this Reddish Egret to my left.  He gave me a nice pose when the sun popped out above the clouds.  Nothing like seeing a gorgeous sunrise over the Gulf of Mexico and having birds like this to photograph.  I’m very luck to live in this neck of the woods.

Taken with Canon 1DX and Canon 500mm F4 IS II with 1.4x III teleconverter mounted on Skimmer ground pod with Wimberley II gimbal head

Aperture priority, 1/800 sec @ F9, ISO 1600, evaluative metering, +1/3 exposure compensation

0242_Bolivar Flats_10182014-3

6 responses

1. Beautiful!

October 19, 2014 at 6:53 pm

• Thanks Judy. It was a great morning to be out taking photos. Can’t wait to go back.

October 20, 2014 at 6:12 pm

2. So..where’s the godwit? Just kidding! Love the light and as always you’re on the ground perspective.

October 22, 2014 at 7:05 pm

• Thanks Emily. I’ll post a shot if the Godwit one if these days. Have to sort through a ton of photos from the next days shooting first. Took almost 3600 photos.

October 24, 2014 at 5:47 am

3. Some great early morning light. He was waiting on you.

November 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm

• Thanks David. I love it when they cooperate.

November 21, 2014 at 6:47 pm