…morning light is magic…

Sandhill Wingspan

Spent several hours driving the dirt roads paralleling the Platt River in Nebraska where the Sandhill Cranes were feeding in the surrounding corn fields.  With about 175,000 Sandhills in the area, there were plenty of photo op’s.  This one had his full wingspan on display.  Had some clouds which ended up being a blessing with the color in his feathers coming out.  This nearly full framed shot is one of my favorites.  Taken handheld out the car window.  Some were too close and I should have taken off the teleconverter but didn’t want to take the time to do it.

Taken with Canon 7D and Canon 500mm F4 IS II with 1.4x III teleconverter, handheld

1/400 Sec @ F5.6, ISO 400, evaluative metering, +2/3 exposure compensation.

2445Nebraska_03272014-3

8 responses

1. Exposure is dead on and I love the colors.

April 9, 2014 at 9:59 pm

• Thanks Doug. Just glad that I didn’t clip his wings as I was so close.

April 13, 2014 at 8:28 pm

2. The layers of feathers really stand out in this one. That must have been quite the experience. With so many sandhills around, were they skittish?

April 9, 2014 at 10:29 pm

• Thanks Lyle. They weren’t too bad as long as I stayed in my car. The moving car blind worked well. Some would walk away from the road as you drove up but rarely did they spook and fly away in mass.

April 13, 2014 at 8:30 pm

3. I agree, really nice wing spread with all the colors.

April 11, 2014 at 12:14 pm

• Thanks David. It was a really good time.

April 13, 2014 at 8:31 pm

4. Funny I was thinking of you the other day. Do you ever do workshops?

April 12, 2014 at 8:24 pm

• Thanks Emily. I just had some workshops this weekend in Galveston. Let me know if you are ever going to be in the Houston area. I can show you some good places for wildlife photography.

April 13, 2014 at 8:39 pm