…morning light is magic…

Skimming into 2014

My last outing in 2013 was filled with silhouettes of Black Skimmers on the Gulf of Mexico at Bolivar Flats.  Calm winds and calm water had the skimmers out in force.  Took these before the sun came up in aperture priority with ISO cranked up to 800 to get some decent shutter speeds.

It was a great ending to 2013.  It has been a very challenging and rewarding year for me.  Photography highlights included a great trip to California to photograph sea otters, leading workshops at Galveston’s FeatherFest, teaching private lessons, getting some future opportunities and spending quality time in nature along the gulf coast.  Thanks to everyone who stopped by to check out my blog.  Hope that everyone has a fun/safe new year and a great 2014.

Taken with Canon 7D and Canon 500mm F4 IS II with 1.4x III teleconverter mounted on Skimmer ground pod with Wimberley II head

1/800 sec @ F5.6, ISO 800, evaluative metering, +2/3 exposure compensation

0181Bolivar Flats 12282013-2

1/640 sec @ F5.6, ISO 800, evaluative metering, +2/3 exposure compensation

0097Bolivar Flats 12282013-2

1/640 sec @ F5.6, ISO 800, evaluative metering, +2/3 exposure compensation

0096Bolivar Flats 12282013-2

10 responses

1. Seriously awesome captures of these skimmers. A beautiful setting before sunrise. Good work!

December 31, 2013 at 8:20 pm

• Thanks David. Had great conditions and cooperative birds. Hope that you can make it out there one of these days.

January 2, 2014 at 4:46 pm

2. Some of your best work involving silhouettes. Seriously sharp where you can see the droplets spraying back as the birds skim the water. Awesome colors across the scenes you captured. I think the middle one’s well defined tones and water drops make it my favorite of the three.

January 1, 2014 at 12:04 pm

• Thanks Doug. It was rare to see skimmers actually skimming along the coast as I usually only get fly-by shots. The weather was almost perfect and had more skimmers than I’ve seen for a long time out there.

January 2, 2014 at 4:47 pm

3. Sehr schöne Aufnahmen! Gratuliere.

January 3, 2014 at 10:02 am

• Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

January 3, 2014 at 9:07 pm

4. Magnificent captures!!!

January 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

• Thanks. Appreciate you checking out my website. I’m very spoiled with all of the photo op’s around the Gulf of Mexico.

January 12, 2014 at 5:56 pm

5. akulatraxas

Oh wow, these are really really awesome! Thanks for uploading. – May I ask how far away these bird were?

November 25, 2014 at 5:35 pm

• Thanks for checking out my photos and commenting. The last two were fairly close as I didn’t have to crop the photo much. The group in the first shot were further away.

November 25, 2014 at 6:28 pm