Galveston Featherfest Photo Contest
It’s that time of year again for the Galveston Featherfest photo contest. I’ve had some success in the contest in recent years and I’d encourage everyone who shoots in Galveston and surrounding counties to enter. It’s a weekly contest so you can enter two photos every week for four weeks. Here is the press release.
Feb. 14, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Photography Now a Big Part of FeatherFest
Bird Photo Contest Call for Entries
GALVESTON ISLAND, Texas (Feb. 14, 2011) – Entries are now being accepted for the FeatherFest Photo Contest held in conjunction with Galveston’s annual birding, nature and photography festival.
Individuals are invited to submit images of birds taken in Galveston or adjacent counties. Entries for Week 1 are due Tuesday, March 1. Contest details are outlined below.
Photographers also have an opportunity to participate in PhotoFest, the track of field trips and workshops held April 7 through 9 during FeatherFest that are designed for photographers of all skill levels.
After last year’s near sell-out debut, PhotoFest 2011 offers new programs led by professional photography instructors. PhotoFest events are presented this year by Houston Camera Exchange.
In addition, a wide variety of cameras and equipment will be featured at Birders’ Bazaar, the festival’s free public trade show and nature arts and crafts market place.
“Photography has become an important part of FeatherFest, and the photo contest gets bigger and better every year,” said Barbara Rabek, co-leader with Steve Upperman of both the competition and PhotoFest.
“Photographers are always taking pictures of the amazing birds that live in the area or migrate through, and this organized competition is a good way to recognize their efforts. This is the contest’s fifth year, and it’s a perfect fit with FeatherFest and PhotoFest.”
First-, second- and third-place winning photos from four weekly contests in March will be published in The Daily News and on the FeatherFest Web site. A Grand Prize winning photo will be
selected from these winners and published in early April.
The photo contest is presented by The Galveston Island Nature Tourism Council in partnership with The Daily News and the Bay Area Photo Club. Photo club members will judge the entries, drawing on their photography and competition expertise.
Photo Contest Rules:
- Photos must be of birds from Galveston or adjacent counties.
- Photos must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. Tuesday, March 1, 8, 15 and 22 to be included in photos being judged for the following Tuesday edition of The Daily News.
- Two photos per week may be submitted and must arrive in separate e-mails.
- Photos must be in JPEG format at 300 dpi and not larger than 6 MB.
- Images may be cropped, sharpened, color adjusted and/or altered in other minor ways.
- Images may not be collages or blends of more than one image.
- Photos must be accompanied with the photographer’s name; title of photo; name of bird(s) in photo; and location where photo was taken.
- First-, second- and third-place winners will be selected each week for four weeks. A Grand Prize photo will be selected from the four weekly first-place winners.
- A photographer may not win more than one first, second or third place during the four weeks.
- Photographers who submit an entry grant The Galveston County Daily News and The Galveston Island Nature Tourism Counsel a limited license to publish and display the photo and to use it in promotional materials without compensation.